Thursday 9 September 2010

Gender


Inspired by this...I have wrote this piece.

I've never thought myself as a boy.

Or at least fully.

This is not to say that I have not clutched to my gender at times i.e. stopping myself doing Dance on saturday's activity club and instead doing drama cus' dance was for girls.

But i've always hated the macho absolute male, the bulging muscles action hero, the fighter, the superior. It just wasn't me i hadn't earnt a superior stature and didn't want it either, it felt uneasy and ridiculous.

And this is not because I'm gay, that would be ludicrous, a complete misreading of what i'm saying and possibly quite close minded.

It is because I hate the boundaries it enforces. The pointless restrictions that oppress and confuse the identity and the confine possibility.

Yes we look different underneath but when does that matter except in the bedroom or at the doctors. And even you still believe the gender divide you must agree we live our lives in clothes in artifices of the body, ideas, ideologies of being. In effect we live on the exterior of the body rather then inhabit the practise of what the body is. (This may be further explained in another Rant/ better explained in Butler's Gender Trouble) These are ideas are changeable. If they are restrictive why not attempt to change them or step out of them all together.

and possibly one day i'll go for those lessons I missed out on.
(Recent Biological study discussing how similar the two genders are : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4251968.stm)
X

p.s. Chris Goode's Blog is AWESOME

p.p.s. TED is too

1 comment:

  1. Thanks!

    I've been looking around here and I think it's pretty awesome too.

    xx

    ReplyDelete